So now we can rejoice in our wonderful new relationship with God because our Lord Jesus Christ has made us friends of God.
Romans 5:11, NLT*
New Christians are so vibrant and full of joy. Whatever our spiritual “age,” let’s think about what relationship with God means:
- no dread, or fear of punishment
- no hopelessness about our lives
- confidence to approach God with our needs (see last week’s post)
- peace in our spirits
- forgiveness and cleansing from our sins
- changing character and behaviour
- hope of heaven
- the Holy Spirit’s presence with us each moment
- access to God’s wisdom
- spiritual eyes that are learning to see what He sees
- healing for our hurts
- usefulness to the Master
Some of these things are still developing. We haven’t fully arrived, but it’s so good to be on the path with Him.
More than any of these things, relationship with God means we have Him, and He has us. Let’s take time today to rejoice in this wonderful relationship.
God our Maker and Redeemer, it’s beyond wonderful that You have brought us back into relationship with You through Jesus’ life, death and resurrection. Forgive us for getting used to this great gift and not seeing the wonder of it. Teach us to rejoice in You, and make us contagious, so that others will want to know You too.
*New Living Translation (NLT) Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.