Then the leading priests decided to kill Lazarus, too, for it was because of him that many of the people had deserted them and believed in Jesus.
John 12:10-11, NLT*
You’d think raising someone from the dead would be proof enough of Jesus’ power, even for the priests and Pharisees. The common people could see it clearly enough.
It’s easy for us to say these priests were protecting their own power and didn’t want to acknowledge the truth. That they felt threatened.
That’s likely the case, but these verses make me stop and think.
How often do we deny what’s true because we’re invested in something false? (click to tweet) A belief, a perspective, a plan? Something we’d have to set aside to do life God’s way?
- I can’t make it to church because Sunday’s my only day to sleep in, to see my friends, it’s the best time to golf…
- Forget tithing, I can’t give anything at all, because money is tight. Hey, do you want to go out to lunch after the service?
- It’s okay to sleep with my boyfriend/girlfriend because morals have changed.
- I’m not bound by the Bible’s words about homosexual behaviour because Jesus would want me to be happy.
- I don’t need to read the Bible because it’s out of date and confusing.
- No matter what my friends say, I can trust this particular person. If I have doubts, personally, then I’m not being very loyal.
- Maybe I shouldn’t complain, but listen to what she/he did!
- I don’t have to report that money I earned on the side. There’s no paper trail, and the government would only waste the extra tax.
- And the list could go on for pages…
It doesn’t have to be a big thing. God often teaches us in the small. The point is, we need to be open to see – and to follow – God’s perspective instead of our own. (click to tweet) The best place to start is with reading the Bible and taking time in prayer. Regularly and consistently.
Father God, You see the past, the present and future. You know all things, and You alone are wise. Open our eyes, hearts and wills to what You reveal, and help us to let go of our own cherished perceptions, plans and desires, and to trust You. Because we know You are good and that You love us, we know that Your way is best.
*New Living Translation (NLT) Holy Bible. New Living Translation copyright © 1996, 2004, 2007 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.