This letter is from Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus, appointed by the command of God our Savior and Christ Jesus, who gives us hope.
1 Timothy 1:1, NLT* (emphasis mine)
Yes, sometimes I read backwards. It was verse 2 that nudged me last week, and now it’s verse 1.
Christ Jesus, who gives us hope. Let that steep a bit in your mind.
- of new life – and of Heaven
- that we’ll make it – sometimes life is hard
- that we’ll conduct ourselves in ways that are pleasing to God
- of healing and growth
- of doing what He gives us to do: “I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength.” (Philippians 4:13, NLT*)
- of glory – Christ’s glory (His character) shining through us
That’s a lot of hope, and some days we need it all.
God of grace and mercy, You are our strong tower and our hope. Increase our faith and help us seize hold of the hope You offer. Let us live in confidence in You, expecting to see Your work in our lives. Not as we might want to see it, but as You want to unfold it. For the sake of Your glory.
Peter Furler’s song, “Greater is He (Hope of Glory),” helps these thoughts stick with me.
*New Living Translation (NLT) Holy Bible. New Living Translation copyright © 1996, 2004, 2007 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.